A single idea

Get Personal, Get Better Results


I find it amazing that so few people send letters to one and other now. I know that when I was younger, and we still used quills, that there was little choice, but I really feel when I get another text or an email that the sender either doesn’t want to talk with me or simply can’t be bothered. And I now know I’m not the only one.

We were recently asked to design a ‘Direct Mail’ campaign for Baker Goodchild, one of the most established and respected Mail Fulfilment Houses, and as part of the process I researched the benefits of Direct Mail when used as a marketing tool.

In a nutshell, what I found suggests to me that in business as well as in our personal lives, I am not alone in feeling more appreciated when I receive a letter. Here are some os the statistics that I found whilst carrying out my research:

Psychological experiments show that people value something they can see and touch 24% more highly than something they can only see.

57% of people claim that receiving mail makes them feel more valued.

38% said that the physical properties of mail influence how they feel about the sender.

Analysis shows that campaigns including mail are 27% more likely to deliver top-ranking sales performance, and 40% more likely to deliver top ranking acquisition levels.

In a survey for Royal Mail carried out by BrandScience, 51% of people said they prefer companies to use a combination of mail and email, so using mail as part of your campaign will engage a larger audience, throw in the 17% who indicated that they wanted businesses to contact them using mail alone, and you have 68% of consumers looking for some communication by mail.

Mail then, we might conclude, even in the digital age, can have a huge and enduring positive effect on the way our ‘Brand’ is received and conceived by our target audience. With the plethora of impersonal digital advertising that we are all bombarded by on a daily basis, the strength and power of a well designed piece of mail, may never have been greater.

If you would like to see how well considered and designed marketing collateral can help your business grow why not take a look at our website?

Or give me a call on +44 (0) 7970 567387, or why not send me a letter!